Skip to main content

More About Arbury Terrace, Milton Road...

Take a look at this map of North Cambridge from the late 1950s. We've used it to indicate all the Arbury-named locations we could find in the city and its environs, past and present. Most of the locations are north of Arbury Road in the fields by the Arbury Iron Age settlement or fort, once known as the Arbury Meadows. This area, with the fields south of Arbury Road, is historically the most Arbury area in Cambridge - and, for new readers, not King's Hedges at all, not even King's Hedges School. Importing the 'King's Hedges' name into the historic Arbury area was, apparently, the council planners' whim of the 1960s and 1970s. 

Read all about the real King's Hedges here

The Arbury name is derived from the ancient earthwork at Arbury Camp, the oldest human landmark in the area. In the Arbury Meadows beside it (much of the land from Arbury Camp to the Milton or Ely Road) were found many iron age and Roman structures and artefacts (more were discovered last year, including a plesiosaur bone - once in the possession of an Arbury Roman resident!), marking an historic area, with roots pre-dating Chesterton by centuries. The fields south of Arbury Road were also rich in Roman finds, and the Roman Akeman Street/Mere Way crossed the area. Carlton Way follows the route. Part of the road in South Arbury is actually called Mere Way.

Arbury Road is the only road name in Cambridge city with prehistoric links.

In the 1800s, due to its proximity to Cambridge, Chesterton habitations boomed well beyond the village, giving rise to the name 'New Chesterton'. At this time, interest in Arbury Camp was growing.

And a couple of properties named Arbury appeared in New Chesterton.

A mention of Arbury Camp in the 'Weekly Dispatch', March, 1859: Note the spelling of Wandlebury as 'Vandlebury'! For many years, archaeologists believed that, whilst Wandlebury was undoubtedly a fort, Arbury was an undefended settlement with huts and animal enclosures, the iron age equivalent of a village. Recent excavations have led to new thinking on that subject. Arbury Fort or Arbury village? Part of the earthwork outline is clearly marked at Orchard Park (originally Arbury Park and, before that, Arbury Camp Farm) and is called Ring Fort Road.

In May 1872, Mr Clayton, a stonemason, advertised in the Cambridge Independent Press for an apprentice for his business - applications to Arbury House, Chesterton Road. 

A few years later, a terrace of houses near the corner of Milton Road and Chesterton Road was built and named 'Arbury Terrace'. Jim Smith, another local history researcher and a contributor to the Arbury Cambridge site, discovered that the name was actually featured on an 1886 Ordnance Survey map.

Robert Clayton, stonemason, lived at No 1 Arbury Terrace during the 1880s. We would be interested to know more about this gentleman. Is this the Mr Clayton, stonemason, of Arbury House in Chesterton Road? It seems almost certain - but we take nothing for granted here!

We've assembled some Arbury Terrace artefacts below.

From the 1886 Ordnance Survey map. Part of Chesterton Road and the houses now marooned on the Mitcham's Corner traffic system island can be seen bottom right, on the corner of Milton Road. Scale's Hotel, to the left, is the site of the Portland Arms public house. Arbury Terrace is featured - with its name - on the map. Photo: Jim Smith.

Jim Smith sent us this photograph of pages from the 1887 Cambridge Street Directory featuring Milton Road and Arbury Terrace.

From the 'Cambridge Chronicle', 1891: Arbury Terrace for sale - with details of the accommodation offered within the houses there.

A Cambridgeshire Collection photograph of the corner of Milton Road, with Arbury Terrace on the right. The houses now marooned on the traffic island on Chesterton Road were originally on the corner of Milton Road, until the construction of the 1960s Mitcham's Corner gyratory traffic system.

Francis & Son's shop in Arbury Terrace in the early 20th Century. The transition from houses to commercial outlets had begun. Photo: Cambridgeshire Collection.

Another hat tip to Jim Smith, who discovered this Cambridgeshire Collection photograph in Mike Petty's 'Memory Lane' book. The changing face of Arbury Terrace: the late 1960s, and the name had long been lost - all the houses had become commercial outlets. We've marked on some details, including Springfield, the large Victorian house after which Springfield Road and Terrace were named. It was demolished in the early 1970s. Going off at a brief tangent, Andy recalls: 'There was something about that house which gave me the creeps when I was a child! I think it was because of the tall chimneys and the fact it was rather crowded in by surrounding buildings. The lower, terraced properties immediately to its right gave it a rather "looming" presence. Perhaps it needed a country setting. My grandmother said it was once used as St Luke's Vicarage, although I have discovered it wasn't built for that purpose, and there was a soup kitchen at the house in World War 1.' Photo: Cambridgeshire Collection.

Looking down Milton Road towards Arbury Terrace and Mitcham's Corner from the top of the bus from Arbury to the City Centre some years ago! We had just been given a digital camera and, excited by the new (to us) technology, were taking photos of everything! At this point in time we knew nothing about any Arbury-related history here. The terrace today is very different from the original Victorian dwellings.


Popular posts from this blog

What Did The Romans Ever Do for Arbury? Jim Smith

Our trusty old Arbury map showing location details before the Manor Farm was established. The red line, inserted by Jim Smith, indicates the course of the Roman road - Akeman Street or the Mere Way. The land north of Arbury Road was the Arbury or Harborough Meadows, Arbury/Harborough furlongs and Arbury Camp, King's Hedges was in its original position, north of the railway (now guided busway) and Arbury Road ran from the Ely/Milton Road to the Histon/Cambridge Road - as it did until the late 1970s. Introduction - by the Arbury Archivists Jim Smith is a local history researcher and a good friend of the Arbury Cambridge Blog. He has been researching Roman finds in the historic Arbury area and has written this article for us. We are most grateful! He follows the adventures of those who scraped away centuries of soil to reveal ancient findings beneath.  Of course, as always, we deal with historic Arbury here, not council planners' estates or electoral wards, which are both prone to

Exploring The REAL King's Hedges...

The Cambridge and St Ives Branch railway line is now the Guided Busway. Where was King's Hedges historically? How did the name come about? Why is the majority of King's Hedges Road no more historic than late 1970s - and nothing to do with the course of the original road? What have council planners of the 1960s and 1970s and the needs of motorists got to do with the King's Hedges presence in the historic Arbury district? All will be revealed... We're going to leave Arbury briefly and go to King's Hedges. No, not King's Hedges Ward - that area is, in reality, one of the most Arbury of Arbury areas in Cambridge historically, but the REAL King's Hedges. North of the Guided Busway. You see, the land north of Arbury Road is the site of the Arbury Camp, the Arbury/Harborough (a variation on the Arbury name) Meadows and the Arbury fields of Manor Farm.  It has absolutely nothing to do with King's Hedges at all. And King's Hedges was never a district. Land no

Main Streets of Arbury: Campkin Road - Part 1

Left: work begins on Campkin Road in 1961. Numbers 1 and 2 Manor Farm Cottages have been demolished, but the intention is to preserve the old trees lining the old Manor Farm Drive. Right: a similar view in more modern times, with the Arbury Town Park and Campkin Road. In 1982, Campkin Road was described as the 'Hauptstrasse of North Arbury' by local journalist Sara Payne. Ms Payne's local history articles in the Cambridge Weekly News were hugely popular and, for each one, Ms Payne visited a street in Cambridge and talked to the residents, collecting their memories for publication and producing a fascinating series of 'Then and Now' style articles. 'Cambridge Weekly News', 1982. Down Your Street followed in the footsteps of a similar series in the local press in the early 1960s - by Erica Dimmock - and both now make fascinating reading. We're starting our look at Campkin Road with material from the 'Arbury 1980' project and accounts from locals

Manor School Memories Part 1

The Manor School on Arbury Road was one of the main focuses of life for North and South Arbury for decades. With its evening classes and youth centre, and various community activities - like the annual Christmas party for the elderly and the annual school play in the 1980s ( Annie Get Your Gun and Dracula Spectacular spring to mind) - the Manor opened as separate boys' and girls' schools in 1959 (the girls had to share the boys' buildings at first as their own were still under construction). The school later became co-ed.      An aerial view of t he Manor Schools - Boys' and Girls', around 1960, with a section of Arbury Road and Arbury Court. Note Arbury Court was yet to gain its library and large supermarket building, and Campkin Road was still the Manor Farm Drive. The side of the Manor School 'new block', built in the early 1970s, the tower block and boys' gym beyond. The school was built in the Park Meadow of the old Manor Farm - which is how the &

Arbury Court - Part Of The 'Centre' Of The Original Arbury Estate...

A view across Arbury Court, looking towards Arbury Road, in 1976. Arbury Court is part of the 'centre' of the original Arbury Estate in Cambridge. The Court, with its pub, supermarket, hardware store and post office, chip shop, newsagent, TV shop, greengrocer, hairdresser, chemist, supermarket and branch library, is part of the 'hub' of the estate. The historic Arbury district. The Arbury or Harborough (the names were variations on each other and interchangeable) Meadows covered most of the land north of Arbury Road. The road ran from Milton Road to the Histon/Cambridge Road until the late 1970s. The Manor Farm was formed in the years following the 1840 Chesterton Enclosures. Orchard Park (originally Arbury Park and, before that, Arbury Camp Farm) features the outline of part of the Arbury prehistoric settlement at Ring Fort Road. We've inserted the sites of Arbury Court, the Guided Busway and Campkin Road. Arbury Road marks the boundary of North and South Arbury, a

Arbury Archaeology and History: Part 1

Imagine an iron age settlement. It is surrounded by a circular earthwork. People live here. There are houses, and pens for animals within the enclosure. Until recent years, it was not believed to be a fort. The settlement is larger than some, but believed to be very much the equivalent of what we now call a village - the earthwork simply to defend it from wolves and animal thieves. The earthwork is filled with water, and reeds and rushes grow there. Despite the naming of the Arbury earthwork as 'Ring Fort Road' in the Arbury Camp Farm Arbury/Orchard Park development, the original height of the earthwork and its enclosed area were not believed to indicate that Arbury was a fort (compare to Wandlebury), and the findings of archaeologists from Cambridge and London from the early 1960s to 1970 discounted the notion. Comment from Arbury Camp, Cambridge, A Preliminary Report on Excavations - by John Alexander and David Trump, 1970: The excavations therefore tend to confirm earlier s

Arbury Snippets Part 4: Arbury Terrace, Arbury Hedges, 19th Century Pugilists, Hunting & Escaped Prisoners At The Real King's Hedges And Suspects On The Arbury Meadows...

We've superimposed the old Arbury Meadows, Furlongs and Corner onto a 1900 map. Remember, the Manor Farm, which covered most of North Arbury (or the Council's inappropriately named 'King's Hedges Ward'), did not exist before the 1840s. Our 1900 map also features the details from the 1840 enclosures map. The names Arbury and Harborough were variations on each other and interchangeable. Whilst the 1840 enclosures map used the 'Harborough' form, an 1839 newspaper article (featured) used the 'Arbury' form. During the late 1800s, the 'Harborough' form all but disappeared. The Arbury name is derived from the Old English for 'earthwork', the earthwork surrounding the iron age settlement at Arbury Camp Farm (now Orchard Park, originally Arbury Park). The earthwork, or at least part of it, was a landscape feature for around 2000 years, and the part of the outline seen on this map is incorporated into the design of Ring Fort Road. Arbury was. f

Ask Arbury: The Roman Villa in Arbury

     E-mail to Arbury Cambridge blog: Was a Roman villa found at King's Hedges? I recently saw an outside display in North Arbury/King's Hedges Ward called 'The Roman Landscape in King's Hedges' which claims there was one. And is King's Hedges Road Roman?  We've seen that display. Electoral wards are not historic areas and local historians really do need to be mindful of that fact. The answer to your question regarding the Roman villa and King's Hedges Road is no. The Roman villa was found on the site of King's Hedges School, which is not part of the historic King's Hedges acres. Historically, King's Hedges was simply a named property, a farm, of fifty eight acres, and is now north of the guided busway. It was never a district. King's Hedges School is dearly loved by many of us and we treasure it, but those in the know accept it's not actually in any historically meaningful King's Hedges district, and the site had nothing to do w

What Arbury Means To You...

We thought it would be good to invite comments (or emails - from readers about what Arbury means to you. Of course, many have already made their views plain on here, but we like the idea of a dedicated blog post. Please be aware that we are referring to the original Arbury area here, the area between Gilbert Road and King's Hedges Road, not modern electoral wards/misnamed apparently 'separate' housing estates. From 'Arbury is Where We Live!' (1981): Community action has always been important in Arbury. The first Arbury community groups were formed with the building of South Arbury in the 1950s, and North Arbury has seen many fantastic community efforts - resulting in the likes of the Arbury Adventure Playground, Arbury Carnival, Arbury Community Centre and the Arbury Town Park. So, what does Arbury mean to YOU? How long have you lived here? Are you interested in Arbury history? What do you like about Arbury? What do you dislike? What mak

Manor School Memories - Part 2

Lads from the Manor Boys' School in 1960. D. Claton, M. Farrow, R. Mitchell, C. Peck, I. Skeels, R. Potter and G. Paine are present. Do any readers remember who is who? School's back in - Manor School/Community College on Arbury Road that is (now North Cambridge Academy). Here is the second part of our series on Manor Memories - Part 1 is here . Pupils' foreign holiday, 1960: the first Manor girls to go on a joint foreign holiday with Manor boys: G. Anderson, J. Barnes, C. Blackwell, H. Brown, S. Budd, L. Carter, A. Clarke, L. Doggett, C. Doughty, P. Drake, S. Hardy, E. Harradine, B. Kaspar, D. Miller, J. Parker, L. Phillips, J. Reeves, J. Spencer, J. Symonds, with headmistress Mrs Firman. Note the Manor Schools' caretaker's house can be seen in the background, and the trees of the old Manor Farm orchard. October 1960, and here is a view of the Manor Boys' and Girls' schools from the car park at the Snow Cat public house (now the Cambridge Gurdwara). A view