Skip to main content

Chesterton Local History Group Journal, 1986.

'Chesterton', the journal of the Chesterton Local History Group, 1986. St Andrew's School is pictured on the cover. The Manor Farm children attended there, and were allowed to leave ten minutes early in the winter months so they could complete their journey home before it got dark.

It was in late 1985 that Andy gave a talk to Chesterton Local Group at St Andrew's School in the village called 'Rural Arbury - 1840 to 1960'.

This covered the period from the Chesterton Enclosures to the building of the North Arbury Estate, and centred heavily on the Manor Farm on Arbury Road. Derek Stubbings headed the group, and was very dedicated. 'A great local history enthusiast and thoroughly nice bloke,' says Andy today.

In early 1986, Andy wrote an article for Chesterton, the group's journal, about Manor Farm.

We believe it was Derek's son who did the illustrations for the journal. It was not easy to get photographs clearly and affordably reproduced for printed matter back then, and the drawings were a great way round that problem.

Andy's great-great grandparents moved from the original King's Hedges, north of the railway/guided busway (see map), in 1886 (Andy has managed to firm up the 'around 1885' information since the 1980s), and the article he wrote for the journal centred squarely on Manor Farm.

Have a read. 

Arbury, around 1900. Andrew's grandmother laughed at the modern 'King's Hedges Estate/King's Hedges Ward' idea. 'King's Hedges is at King's Hedges!' she said. 'Honestly, what are these people thinking of?'

The excellent sketch of the Manor Farmhouse in the 'Chesterton' journal in 1986, and (below) the original photograph, donated to the Arbury Archive by Dr John Bennett, son of Colonel Charles Bennett, in 1983.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Main Streets of Arbury: Campkin Road - Part 1

Left: work begins on Campkin Road in 1961. Numbers 1 and 2 Manor Farm Cottages have been demolished, but the intention is to preserve the old trees lining the old Manor Farm Drive. Right: a similar view in more modern times, with the Arbury Town Park and Campkin Road. In 1982, Campkin Road was described as the 'Hauptstrasse of North Arbury' by local journalist Sara Payne. Ms Payne's   Down Your Street  local history articles in the   Cambridge Weekly News   were hugely popular and, for each one, Ms Payne visited a street in Cambridge and talked to the residents, collecting their memories for publication and producing a fascinating series of 'Then and Now' style articles. Down Your Street  followed in the footsteps of a similar series in the local press in the early 1960s - by Erica Dimmock - and both now make fascinating reading. We're starting our look at Campkin Road with material from the 'Arbury 1980' project and accounts from locals contributed to t

What Did The Romans Ever Do for Arbury? Jim Smith

Our trusty old Arbury map showing location details before the Manor Farm was established. The red line, inserted by Jim Smith, indicates the course of the Roman road - Akeman Street or the Mere Way. The land north of Arbury Road was the Arbury or Harborough Meadows, Arbury/Harborough furlongs and Arbury Camp, King's Hedges was in its original position, north of the railway (now guided busway) and Arbury Road ran from the Ely/Milton Road to the Histon/Cambridge Road - as it did until the late 1970s. Introduction - by the Arbury Archivists Jim Smith is a local history researcher and a good friend of the Arbury Cambridge Blog. He has been researching Roman finds in the historic Arbury area and has written this article for us. We are most grateful! He follows the adventures of those who scraped away centuries of soil to reveal ancient findings beneath.  Of course, as always, we deal with historic Arbury here, not council planners' estates or electoral wards, which are both prone to

Exploring The REAL King's Hedges...

The Cambridge and St Ives Branch railway line is now the Guided Busway. Where was King's Hedges historically? How did the name come about? Why is the majority of King's Hedges Road no more historic than late 1970s - and nothing to do with the course of the original road? What have council planners of the 1960s and 1970s and the needs of motorists got to do with the King's Hedges presence in the historic Arbury district? All will be revealed... We're going to leave Arbury briefly and go to King's Hedges. No, not King's Hedges Ward - that area is, in reality, one of the most Arbury of Arbury areas in Cambridge historically, but the REAL King's Hedges. North of the Guided Busway. You see, the land north of Arbury Road is the site of the Arbury Camp, the Arbury/Harborough (a variation on the Arbury name) Meadows and the Arbury fields of Manor Farm.  It has absolutely nothing to do with King's Hedges at all. And King's Hedges was never a district. Land no