The Arbury Carnival returns this year, and we are delighted. Please support this venture - it is a wonderful community event that began not far off half a century ago (45 years) and is an immense boost to the community around Arbury and North Cambridge.
We had a question from Len:
'Where is the location of the Arbury Carnival in the context of historical Arbury?'
Right in the thick of it, Len! Most Arbury history lies north of Arbury Road and, as you will see by the map below, King's Hedges and King's Hedges Road were somewhere else.
Historically, the name 'King's Hedges' and the 1970s redirected and extended King's Hedges Road highway have nothing to do with Arbury Camp, or the Arbury fields.
We have adjusted our trusty 1900 Arbury Road map to show the old fields by the ancient Arbury earthwork and the location of the Carnival at Arbury Town Park in context. Much of the area was, at one time, known as Arbury or Harborough (a variation on the Arbury name) Meadows. The Manor Farm arrived after the 1840 Chesterton Enclosures. The Carnival site is indicated on the map, and was part of the Arbury Meadows.