In January, 2013, Arbury gained a major community first. The Grove (formerly Snowcat) public house in Arbury Court, became the Cambridge Gurdwara, the first Sikh temple not only in Arbury, not only in Cambridge city, but in the whole of Cambridgeshire. The building was erected in 1959 as the Snowcat public house, to serve the 'rapidly expanding Arbury estate'. The architect was David Roberts, the builders Kidman and Sons, and the cost £16,000! A 1965 report on the Snowcat. The Snowcat was a part of the Arbury community for years, but times changed, and its reputation as a decent pub went downhill around the turn of the 21st Century. In an effort to improve things, the Snowcat was renamed 'The Grove' - confusing, with the Grove School in Campkin Road (named after Manor Farm trees) in close proximity. Two 'Groves' - one a primary school, one a boozer? It really did not compute. As usual, it's the few that give a pub a bad name, and after a particularly nasty...
A view across Arbury Court, looking towards Arbury Road, in 1976. Arbury Court is part of the 'centre' of the original Arbury Estate in Cambridge. The Court, with its pub, supermarket, hardware store and post office, chip shop, newsagent, TV shop, greengrocer, hairdresser, chemist, supermarket and branch library, is part of the 'hub' of the estate. The historic Arbury district. The Arbury or Harborough (the names were variations on each other and interchangeable, although the Arbury form was more common) Meadows and Furlongs covered land north of Arbury Road, and included a swathe of land south of the road. Arbury Road ran from Milton Road to the Histon/Cambridge Road until the late 1970s. The Manor Farm was formed in the years following the 1840 Chesterton Enclosures. Orchard Park (originally Arbury Park and, before that, Arbury Camp Farm) features the outline of part of the Arbury prehistoric settlement at Ring Fort Road. We've inserted the sites of Arbury Court, ...